Tuesday, October 21, 2008

I'm wearing a pin! And you can't stop me!!


A few weeks ago, Mr. Bolos told us about something that happened to his daughter.  She wore a button in support of a candidate, to school.  He informed us of how excited she was but that she was asked to remove the pin.  I originally thought it was strange but then I noticed something in my family.  My brother has been wearing a pin in support of Obama for a week.  I asked him if it was cool for him to wear the pin and he said it was fine.  Both of these stories absolutely shocked me!  Both of these stories take place in a public middle school and involve a child wearing a pin in support of a political candidate but each was treated differently.    
I believe that every person has a right to wear whatever pin they want whether it be for a political candidate or for something like a movie or sport.  But the argument is that these kids are not even of voting age and are supporting a candidate, and also that due to their young age, they are changing the minds of others just by wearing the pin.  I don't believe that someone, even as young as middle schoolers, should be asked to remove a pin that is in support of something they believe in!  And if it isn't a distraction in the classroom then the teachers should not bring it up because that is just creating a distraction!  Both of these issues are that of freedom of expression and in school involving students, things get o be a bit tricky!  But I believe that if a student, any student, wants to wear a pin, whether political or not, to school then unless it is disruptive to the learning environment, that they should be allowed to!! (except in private school settings)  What do you believe?  If you wore a pin to school, supporting a political candidate, would you be offended if you were asked to remove it?  I know i would be!

2 comments:

Abby said...

I would definitly be offended if I were told to remove a political pin. Student should have the right to say/wear whatever they like. As for middle schoolers, there's no difference. It doesn't matter if they aren't able to vote-as long as it doesn't disrupt the environment, they should be allowed to wear a political pin.

andrea said...

I think it is important for a child to be able to express their views, just as it is important for an adult to be able to express their views. Actually, i think it is great that kids are learning how to express their opinions to the world at a young age. As Mr. Bolos said in the beginning of the year, he didnt really realize that he had a voice or how to voice his opinion until he was in college, and i think it is great that these kids are already expressing themselves.
I personally would be offended if i was asked to remove a pin in New Trier, since it is a public school. WE HAVE THE FIRST AMENDMENT FOR A REASON! let the kids express themselves and learn that their voice does matter.