Friday, November 7, 2008

WE CAN CHANGE!!


It is official!  After a nearly 22 month campaign, it is official that Barack Obama is the 44th president of the United States of America.  He is the first african-american president of the USA!  This election was a historic one no matter who won the election.  And as the election got closer and closer, the polls showed that the race was tighter than ever.  However, with almost all the states reporting, Barack Obama won the presidents race by a landslide.  With Obama having 349 electoral votes and John McCain having only 163 electoral votes, it was by any standards a landslide victory.  My dad was talking to me about how when I grow up I will be able to tell my kids and grandkids about this election and how it was so historic and that I was at an age that I not only knew what was going on, but could form my own opinion.  And I realized something, that this was a very historic election and that I will be able to tell my kids and grandkids about this but that to them, it probably won't seem like it is that big of a deal.  Why?  Because hopefully by that time this country will have had many other African-American presidents, and female presidents, and other types of presidents.  The idea of them not truly understanding what a big deal this was shocks me.  But also reminds me of how our grandparents must feel when they tell us about big things that occurred during their lifetimes that we can not relate to at all.  History has been made and it will be able to be discussed later but people truly will not understand it in the future. CONGRATS OBAMA!!

No comments: