Tuesday, September 9, 2008

9/11 Revisited


It is approaching the time of year again when people start to remember what happened on that horrible day in 2001. It has almost been 7 years since that dreadful day but questions about how much our country has changed and if it is safer now still arise. Is terrorism gone? Are we truly safer now that we have invaded Iraq and Afghanistan?
I remember that day clearly and the terrified feeling that I had. My dad being one of the many people who was supposed to be in the World Trade Center that day. I did not have any concept of what terrorism was or who would want to do anything to the country but I knew that the country I had thought was so safe and that nothing would ever happen to was no longer safe. I look back on that day now wondering if I was right in my thinking that I would never truly feel safe in this country again. And I know that I have a feeling of being safe but I also know that things can happen at any time. Many died in that horrible attack and many have also died fighting for the safety of our country. They have done an amazing job but they should come home because it has been so much time we should think that the world knows that we are serious and don't want to be messed with.
On the anniversary of the attacks I remember those who died in the attacks and think about the safety of our country and I feel good. Think about if we are safer and wonder, what would have happened if we had not invaded Iraq and Afghanistan.

No comments: